Saturday, December 18, 2010

When the parents are away

There is a low, almost white noise coming from the adjoining room. The laughing of the people, the sound of the television program, the music of the birds in the distance all blend together to create the soundtrack of today.

Today will not be amazing.

This little fact is almost set in stone, as last night, sorry, yesterday in general, was completely tremendous.

I'm currently in a little country town, away from Brisbane, staying with some friends from work. Crystal's parents are away, so the kids came out to play.
Every day has been lovely, but last night was just magical.
We sat around an old table, playing cards on the back porch as the sun sank behind the horizon.

Everything I said was heard, my ideas counted, my jokes were funny.

Then without any warning a thunderstorm broke out. It consumed the atmosphere; everything became a part of this incredible, energising storm. If it were a painting, it would be shades of grey with flecks of the rainbow in the grass, peices of kaleidoscope in the air.

So we burnt candles and watched the rain take over the sky.
Red Socks put his fingers in the melting candlewax and made "weird wax fingertip things" which he thought was hilarious.

I went inside, after a long day of (sleeping.) our stomachs were rumbling and a steaming pot of Dahl was on the menu. I cooked it for people who live on Mi Goreng and microwave meals and... they LIKED the dahl!! Success! Nothing is more important than impressing people with cooking abilities.

The storm died down, we continued playing Frustration, cracking open a bottle of "cheap'n' nasty" (actually. I thought it was really nice) champaigne.

Note to everyone: Next time you crack open the bottle of "cheap'n'nasty" champaigne, add some frozen strawberries and a peice of ice. This will a) make your drink prettier and /almost/ negate the "cheap'n'nasty" element. b) make you appear sophisticated c) create a swell beverage.

The game continued and I spied with my beady eyes the "weird wax fingertip things" on the table. I then decided that the only thing more hilarious than "weird wax fingertip things" is melting things. So you can guess what I did then. I tried to melt one, which was difficult since Red Socks protected them like they were his pride and joy. About half an hour later I saw an opportunity and... I melted one of them. Red Socks didn't seem to care since he said "I don't care! You can put that in your pipe and smoke it!".

After the game finished we played Marco Polo in the dark. The weather had transformed and the air was warm, the water inviting.

It became obvious that the house behind Crystal's needed to be spied on. Lights were moving around, there was possibly a party taking place. The game of Marco Polo was over.
Well, it was time for me to take one for the team. And since I am, in fact, a highly regarded spy, famous actually... in the spy world, I stepped up. But not without trusty Red Socks.

We scrambled over the fence (which I'll admit, was something of a challenge for me since I am barely 5"2 and the Fence was almost 5". But we made it. Landing on enemy turf was just the beginning of the adventures. I am tired. Two nights in a row of 0.00 sleep is tiring.



Last night was a hard act to follow. But now that I think about it, the kiss technically happened this morning. Therefore today is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always fun!